The mask making seminar is a 5 day extensive training course geared
for beginners to learn the art and craft of making masks. This
is a great opportunity to start a part time job, unlock your
artistic talent or just learn a new hobby.
The class will teach you all the
- Sculpting a mask in clay on a human
- Sculpting in WED clay (oil based clay is an option, but will
incur a small extra charge. I don't recommend oil clay due
to the time factor).
- How to size the sculpt to fit a human head.
- Sculpting techniques: beginning/advanced
- How to prepare the sculpt for molding
- Mold walls
- 2 piece full head molds
- 1 piece copy molds
- Mold basics: cleaning, repairing, preparing
- Casting a mask in latex
- Preparing a casting for painting including seaming and
- Base painting
- Different flexible paint types
- Airbrush painting: basic and advanced techniques
- Flecking/mottling/veining/eye painting/glossing/sealing
- Hairing and other finishing work.
At the end of the seminar, you will have a full head latex mask
of your own creation and will have the knowledge to make your own
future creations. While this class is presented as an all
extensive beginners class, those with prior experience are welcome
to attend and to learn more advanced techniques. I will work
1:1 with everyone at their current level and pace.
You will also receive a full head polyfoam armature to sculpt on
as well as a set of sculpting tools to take home (and whatever clay
you used and want to lug back).
Have a look at a prior years
seminar for more coverage.
Nearby hotel information available upon request.
We are 30 minutes from Disney World, so make a vacation out of